Pages

Dreaming of Naptime

First off, I have to say that we are lucky we have a five month old (who is technically only three months gestation) that sleeps through the night (7:30pm to 5:30am then back down till 7:30am)! But....I guess maybe if you get lucky with nights you don't get naps?!

How To Be A Good Mother - Parenting Quotes - Motherhood Moments | The Connection We Share
{via}
I really like this quote. When it comes to motherhood there are lots of challenges and right now my major challenge has become naps.  You see, I am type A and therefore love routine..but since becoming a mom I feel as though I have no routine or order to my day. I really dream of naptime to get things done but it seems like it is not in the cards for me.  Yes, Greta does nap but the problem is the naps happen while she is held, which is not conducive to getting lots done (even with babywearing to try to get some stuff done!). I think that the fact she is a preemie has a lot to do with our predicament.  She spent countless hours kangaroo-ed in the nicu so to her it is comfort, it is safety, it is nourishment and it is love.  (And really how comforting is a crib with those bars, and it;s cold and hard...) I've read books, blog posts, websites and done plenty of research but can't seem to figure where to go from here to get her to nap routinely and consistently.  Part of me thinks I'm asking to much from her, as lots of books say consistency of naps won't happen until five to six months then the other part says she needs to learn a routine soon or it will never happen.  Anyone have some advice/tips on a napping routine? This mama would be grateful for some ideas!

Until we get it figured out though, I will continue to indulge in the joys of motherhood -- which happen to be the sweet cuddles I get when she does nap.  They really do melt away all my silly frustration when I breathe in her smell, rest my cheek against hers, and just be with her -- because I know before long those cuddles will be few and far between as she grow into the feisty little girl I know she is going to be!





6 comments:

  1. That's a great night routine, but I agree it's hard to schedule your day with no set naps. I like the quote… so true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I didn't jinx myself with writing we had a great night routine as she was up at 4 last night which was unusual, hope tonight is back to regular scheduled programming! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Found you on the Mom Lovin Linkup and started following! Don't really have any advice for you but wanted to say that you are definitely not alone! We are in the exact opposite situation. My youngest is 2 months old (so still adjusting to life in the big world) and seems to be on the opposite schedule of everyone else in the house. She will sleep like a rock during the day, I've tried everything to no avail, and all night long she just wants to play and see what everyone is up to. Hang in there mama! Hopefully things get better for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I haven't done linkup before so thought it was worth a shot - hopping to blog a bit more consistently than in the past. Hoping that your little ones gets days and nights figured out soon cause I bet your tired!

      Delete
  3. Hey! New follower from the Mom Lovin hop! So great to meet another Canadian too (I'm in AB)!! :) I love the quote you used at the beginning of this post - those "shining moments of joy and satisfaction" are truly worth all the frustration we often feel as moms. My daughter didn't really settle into her daytime nap routine until about 6-7 months (and we're still working on the nights!). Just keep being consistent and try not to worry too much about what the books say - they can be helpful, but they are not tailored specifically to YOUR baby and do not necessarily take your unique situation, personalities and family dynamic into account. And remember that you're not alone and it WILL get better (so I hear)! Hang in there and enjoy all the cuddles you can get! Look forward to getting to know you and reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by my fellow Canadian! I'm going to keep working at consistency and hope that we find something that works for us. Gonna pop over and take a look at your blog to find out a bit more about you.

      Delete

I love hearing what you have to say!